Sunday, September 4, 2016

Learning the Turning #23

Liquid Amber


Another lovely blank I acquired from the folks at Pops Shed was marked "Liquid Amber".  I'd never heard of that sort of tree.  I love learning new things (and I'm resisting the urge to add an emoji here).

The shape is another variation of the flared edge style, and this one comes with extra carved rings. The rings are a bit fiddly, cut with a thin-section parting tool.

Anyway this one behaved itself, so you're seeing the results here, unlike the last two blanks which evaded the light by punch-through.  I'd love to blame the blanks,but it wasn't their fault (Why am I seeing the lathe through the bowl?  Oh...).

This bowl did all the right things and I'm rather pleased with it.  Almost spalted in places, but I'm a new wood turner, not a botanist or arborist. I do take precautions not to breathe any of the dust.

Two new pieces of gear since the last posting -- a really nice magnetic clamp-on gooseneck lamp from Carbatec, and an all-singing, all-dancing powered fully enclosed woodturner's face shield from Pop's Shed.  I should have acquired these earlier, they make the work so much easier & thus more pleasant to do.

At no time did this piece fly off the chuck and chase me around the shop.  Still learning, it appears.

No comments:

Post a Comment