Monday, September 12, 2016

Learning the Turning #24

Huon Pine Rolling Pin



I'm not really that well versed in large spindle work.  However, I did find a nice 200mm square section of Huon Pine at the woodworking show, and I couldn't pass it up.  My lady had mentioned some years ago that she really needed a bigger rolling pin to comfortably roll out pastry (she's a cosmically superb cook) without bruising her knuckles or having to put too much pressure on it.  So weight's a thing, more is better?

It wasn't a surprise gift, because I had the foresight to ask her what dimensions she preferred.  Dragged the old one out; half again the diameter, same width, no crevices where food could get caught.

Sharpened the chisels, got to work, finished it over two days.  It's mostly a straight cylinder (I used a straightedge and my least-caffienated stance) and once again, I am absolutely thunderstruck at how beautiful Huon Pine is. Check out the grain in the second photo.

I did not apply a finish, leaving it to my lady to decide whether she wants to use olive oil, or butter, or cosmic unicorn cooking sauce.  I didn't have the faintest idea, to be honest.  But it's a rolling pin, of sorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment